Monday, September 21, 2009

I'd rather give it to you free...

Today I'm feeling slightly...inspired, foofoo, poetic...something. So here's what came from that.

Today was a good day. Got lots done at work. Didn't have to tell anybody no and then got a surprise email from my husband inviting me on a hike after work. We just did a short jaunt up part of the Mt Si trail, but it was great to get out and talk and be in the trees. We then went back to his parents house, watched some football and then headed home. I needed gas, so we stopped and Ryan pumped my gas (he's the best), while I headed into the Starbucks to try and find something yummy.

Being a non-coffee drinker, Starbucks is a bit of a conundrum. But my work gives out $5 Starbucks cards whenever they send a thank you card for volunteering, you hit a goal or they want you to complete some extra training. That being the case I have three $5 Starbucks cards sitting in my wallet. I've learned that Starbucks actually has a quite a few options for us non-coffee drinkers...but when it comes to something warm and relaxing...my drug of choice is Hot Cocoa. I walk in and smile at one of the workers who is curled up on a bench, contentedly drawing on a black board, artistically penning tomorrows special for all to see. Unfamiliar with the sizes I ask the barrista behind the counter for a "little" hot chocolate. She pulls out a tiny cup and confirms the size. I say yes and then hesitate. She senses my hesitation and waits. Putting my fingers to my lips in thought, I let her know that I'm trying to decide if I want a flavor added. She smiles and suggests several, caramel, toffee nut, raspbe... "Toffee nut" I say decisively (which is a feat as those who know me will understand). She asks if I'd like anything else and I say no thank you. We'd already had dinner. She starts to write on my cup and then asks "would you like a free breakfast sandwich?" Smiling and a little confused, I say "Sure, what's the occasion?" She smiles and says "It's the end of the day....I'd rather give it to you for free than throw it away." She asks if I have any passengers and she fixes a second one for Ryan. As I wait for my order, I wander to look at the creativity of the first gal. Her pictures are incomplete, but she's happy to be paid to be creative. The girls chat easily and their ease and enjoyment of the camaraderie rubs off on me and I feel comfortable....peaceful. As the barrista behind the counter hands me my sandwiches I smile and thank her again. With the sandwiches burning my hands I head out the door to share my surprise with Ryan.

As I start our 25 miles drive home I take a sip of my perfect temperature hot cocoa, and am grateful to be alive. Grateful for kind gestures and toffee nut flavoring in my hot coco. I definitely recommend it and recommend giving kindness away for free rather than throwing it away.

1 comment: